Saturday, September 15, 2012

Day 259 - Math Hopscotch

Katelyn gets a homework packet every Friday, which is due the next Thursday.   We usually try and do it Friday night, while it's all still in her head and we're thinking about it.   Last night, the math part was a STRUGGLE!   I am NOT a teacher and I couldn't figure out how to explain the concept of counting by 2's and 5's....she obviously didn't get it in class and I think it's mostly just memorizing the pattern.  So it took forever to get the work done.    Today, I knew we needed to keep practicing, so I decided we should play Math Hopscotch.   She had to throw the rock and jump to it, just like normal, but instead of counting the squares, she had to count by 2, 5, or 10.  And it worked!! By the end of playing, she could count to 100 by 5 and 10 and to 22 by 2!  We still need to work on it, but that's so much better already.  And she had fun too.  She stopped throwing the rock and just jumped on the squares to see how high she could count.  



It looks like she's doing pretty good in school, so far, though.  Her handwriting has improved a TON and she's aced all of her spelling tests.  They sent us home a list of sight words she should know by April and she already know 90% of them.  Hopefully, we can get math to click for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment